As New Year’s day approaches, I feel inspired to send you a bonus. Here is my offering of a ritual which you might like to do at new year, either with your family, community, friends, or in the quietness of your own company. It may be done whether you are in the brightness of summer or the dark of winter, in the southern or northern hemisphere. As the new year begins, we are united in our intention to cross this threshold with awareness.
May 2017 bring you joy and fulfilment.
A Ritual for New Year 2017
To prepare, in the day or days before your ritual, reflect on the passing year of 2016.
* What are you proud of?
* What has brought you joy and satisfaction?
* What achievements are you celebrating?
* Looking forward to 2017, what are your intentions for this coming year?
You can do this on New Year’s eve, or on a quiet evening close to new year.
Set up an altar with two candles, and symbols of new beginnings — anything that evokes freshness and hope.
1. First, share your celebrations, successes or achievements with those present. Then light the first candle as you offer thanks back to Source, the oneness from which all action arises. If you are doing this in your own good company, you might like to write down your celebrations on a piece of paper or card, which you offer back to Source as you light the candle. You may also offer symbols.
2. Now share your intentions for 2017. You may offer to the altar symbols for your intentions or you may write them down on a card as an offering. If you have witnesses, then share aloud what you intend.
Light the second candle, and ask for your intentions to be blessed.
3. Finally, sit in silent meditation, and visualise as vividly as possible your intentions coming to pass. You may wish to sing, or listen to uplifting music as you sit. When you feel complete, snuff out the candles, give thanks, and then enjoy some food or drink to make the transition back to everyday life.
I will be back with you when my holiday is complete. Meanwhile I am immersing myself in nature, in preparation for my Sacred Earth course which begins in February. I hope that you too can fall into the embrace of nature this summer, and find deep replenishment in your body, mind and soul. You might like to check out my ‘Wonder in Nature’ posts on my Facebook page, to see what others are saying, and to share your own moments as well.
This post was first sent to my Seasons Newsletter list. To receive the Seasons Newsletter, you may sign up on the home page of this website and receive a free audio meditation.